02/01/2016

Metal Gear Solid 5; Non-Tactical Incohesive Distractions.

Well, I've now put something like over 20 hours into MGS5 and I have to say I've been consistently underwhelmed by it. I'll not go so far as to say this is a bad game, it's not, but.. well, lemme try to explain;


I've been an MGS fan for 17 years and I've played all the major releases from MGS1 to MGS5. I'm no fanboy of any particular title; I've judged them all on their merits and failings and so far have enjoyed them all. But there are more things that bugged me about MGS5 than in all the other titles put together, these are just the ones I've noted so far;

Motherbase; 
While the concept of managing Big Boss' PMC empire is both challenging and fun, as it was in PW, I feel that having a physical manifestation of Motherbase is largely pointless. Even more so considering that you can't do anything while you're there either, you can't even pet the dog for crying out loud. Ocelot is nowhere to be seen the same as anyone else of interest, like Kaz. In order to do anything you have to use your iDroid or be in the ACC which negates the need for an actual Motherbase. What a total waste of time and development that could have been better spent on...


Free roaming; 
Yes yes it's all the rage now; "openworld" gameplay but some games don't need it and realistically don't benefit from it either - MGS is one of those games. As a result it suffers from a large map which has very little in it and is pretty dull for the most part. MGS always had an A to B playstyle, "to the north"... But it never felt restrictive or linear and this new open world just felt like a needless addition to make up for...


A lack of immersion; 
One thing that has set the MGS saga apart from other games of the same genre, like SplinterCell, is its incredibly immersive narrative and gameplay. MGS really puts you there, in the action, with Snake. But this seems to have been lost in MGS 5. After just an hour into the other games I was absorbed by the strong narrative and characters, after 20 hours of MGS 5 I'm still feeling detached from it, I'm not even sure where the story is going at this point, probably because of the distinct lack of decent...


Cut scenes; 
Whine all you like about the frequency and length of cutscenes in MGS but if you are a fan of the series you'll know this is how the incredibly complex and dynamic story is delivered and it works, especially with Kojima's expert writing and direction. It adds comprehension to the story as well as key character development moments and backstory as well. In 5 this is delivered via tapes, which, plainly, is lazy development as it cuts costs and development time because all you have to do is record the voice actors. Yet this has also lead to the lack of...


Codec calls;
I'm sorry, but tapping L2 (or whatever the button is on your system) and instantly being connected to Kaz or Ocelot where they provide one of about 10 scripted responses, which they will repeat ad-infintum despite the game prigression, just isn't the same same the Codec interface and conversations of the last games. Where have the interesting conversations gone? Where have the funny Codec moments gone? This was all part of the MGS experience, it was integral to it in fact, something that was even mirrored in MGR as well - as anyone who ever pestered Blade Wolf via Codec will know.


This leads me to my current culminating factor; 
The Voice of Snake.

Yeah, you were waiting for it I know. Firstly, let me clear the water; I like Kiefer Sutherland. I am a fan of 24 and I also like what he brings to MGS in a way too. But Kiefer had some big (Boss) boots to fill and realistically Konami/Kojima should have known that he would never even come close to David Hayter in terms of creating the quintessential Snake, not to any longstanding fans, that;s for sure. 

David is, and forever will be, the voice of Snake for me and most other fans as well, regardless of how much we like Kiefer. Every time I hear Kiefer's voice (which isn't often as it seems the budget went so much on MGO and a pointless Motherbase that in 20 hours of gameplay he's had about 5 lines of dialogue), however much I like it, it's just not not tough enough, it doesn't have to graveled tones and rasp to it, it doesn't take me back to the other games like before and remind me of the torment the character has experienced... it just isn't Snake.

~

All of these things add to what amounts to be a very disjointed and largely disappointing MGS experience. Fans who've played the rest will know that MGS is great as immersing you in the story from the get-go; you're in it until the end with clear progression and character development. What's more is there was a clear direction to each game, a clear end-goal. All the too-and-fro from Motherbase just destroys this as well, on top of the other issues. Yes, there was too-and-fro in MGS4 from the plane but you knew the mission, you knew the end-goal. Now it feels as if MGS is as lost as Snake was coming out of that coma...

You've been in a coma for 7 years Metal Gear Solid, do you remember what tactical espionage action is?

It seems that Konami has tried to pile so much onto MGS with this release that what Metal Gear Solid was has been almost covered up completely. It turns out less really is is more; we don't need gimmicks like free roaming, MGO and a billion weapons and enhancements, MGS never did, not in the last 28 years and we never complained because the games were always so well made. 

I used to hope and pray for new games in the MGS saga, I was so hyped for every release after MGS1 and everyone surpassed the last in some way always improving on the experience, now, and it pains me to say it, I hope they don't make any more.

~
Thanks for reading.
It doesn't matter what you use, only that you game. 
#GamersUnite

1 comment: